Botanical Soap Making
This is a 3 hour class.
If you are interested in taking this class, please contact me to schedule a date and time.
This class will introduce you to the wonderful world of cold process soap making. Have you been afraid to make soap because of your fear of sodium hydroxide (lye)? No need to be scared, sodium hydroxide is the caustic agent that unifies your oils and butters with the liquid solution to make soap. Here you will have hands on experience on how to make your first batch of soap.
In this class you will learn:
· Materials needed and what kind of prep work you need to do before you begin
· All about sodium hydroxide and the necessary precautions you need to take
· How to formulate a recipe
· Using natural ingredients to produce a natural log of soap, using plant based oils, herbs and essential oils
· After you make the soap what next? Insulation, gel phase, cutting , curing and storing
You will take home a resource manual with recipes, a list of suppliers and your own batch of soap.
You will be provided with goggles, gloves and face mask.
In this course you will learn:
- All about soapmaking from scratch
- Materials needed and what kind of prep work you need to do before you begin
- All about sodium hydroxide and the necessary precautions you need to take
- How to formulate a recipe
- Chosing herbs and essential oils for the final product
- Understanding what herbs and essential oils are wonderful to use
- Using natural ingredients to produce a natural log of soap
- A resource manual with raw ingredient descriptions, recipes and a list of vendors
- 2 1# batches of herbal & aromatic soap
Prerequisites: A passion to learn and be creative
*Bring to class an apron, rubber gloves and safety goggles.
*This is a 3 hour class
** Please note this is an entry level soap making class. We will use single note essential oils and herbal infusions created prior to class for the botanical benefits to the finished product.